Thursday, July 30, 2009

Making Good Decisions

Feeling pretty proud of myself today - for making good decisions (for once!).

I read two things today in The Express that made me happy:

1. "Nutrition: Whole Foods Sheds a Tear: Organic foods provide no health of nutritional benefits over non-organic foods, British researchers said Wednesday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine based their finding on a review of 162 nutrition studies published over the past 50 years. 'Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority,' the authors wrote."

BOOYAH! So I, who have never set foot inside a Whole Foods or the like, have been eating the same nutritional value as you smug Whole Foods people, but saving a ton of moola. :D I'm so tired of "organic this and organic that" and being made to feel guilty about eating cheaper, mass-produced items - this article has eliminated any feelings of inferiority from my whole-foods-shopping-organic-food-loving friends and NoVa society. Ya know what, I've thought all along that non-organic food tastes better. There, I said it. I shall now be an outcast in my house and in Arlington. :P (although I still very much enjoy eating food prepared by my organic-food-loving friends, I maintain that it's the chef, not the ingredients, that makes it good) ;)

Note: I am only commenting on the nutritional arguement of organic foods vs cost and in my opinion, taste, not about any ethical statements made by purchasing organic foods, which is admirable if that's what you choose to do and can afford it (which I can't..) :P

2. "Sunbeds Named a Cancer Cause" (ummm...duh?) - "Global experts classify ultraviolet radiation as definite carcinogen/causes of cancer.....alongside tobacco, the hepatitis B virus and chimney sweeping, among others." "International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming both to be definite causes of cancer. A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75% when people start using tanning beds before age 30. Experts also found that all types of ultraviolet radiation caused worrying mutations in mice, proof the radiation is carcinogenic." The article said tanning beds mainly cause eye and skin cancer. Eye cancer?! Gross! I think I'll continue being my white-in-winter, OK-tan-in-summer-self.

So...I'm happy I've never gone to a tanning bed and gave myself eye cancer or bought unnecessary, overpriced organic food. Also, I gave up my seat on the metro to an old lady today, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

In summary, I'm kind of a big deal (and modest!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you 100% about the first article and I'm now glad that I don't get in tanning beds (not that they would do me any good anyways). Thanks for posting!